Homelessness Case Manager
Homelessness Case Manager needed in Taunton £13.99 paye ref 396996
This will fulfil the requirements of the Homelessness Reduction Act and will have a real emphasis on preventing homelessness in the District. We are looking to place a temporary Homeless Officer Case Manager to work with our Housing Options Service delivering a high quality service to our customers. It is a customer facing role providing housing and homeless advice to our clients with a strong emphasis on prevention. You will have homeless investigation experience and have a considerable working knowledge of the current homeless legislation, case law and best practise in this specific field. Strong communication skills and ability to investigate and write in-depth reports is also necessary to fulfil this role. We strive towards customer excellence so high quality customer service and an understanding of social problems that surround homelessness is a must. The ability to build relationships with our partner agencies and other stakeholders is a strong advantage for this role. You will need have resilience as you will be working with the some of the most vulnerable clients in our services at a difficult time in their lives, although this role has a positive impact on solving problems and making differences in people’s lives. That is what makes it so rewarding.
We will expect candidates to be able to demonstrate the experience and attributes to undertake the following requirements:
Specific Requirements of Role
- To provide a comprehensive, customer and outcome focussed Housing Options Service.
- Promote a customer centred approach and work with vulnerable customers, their advocates, family, support networks to ensure that homelessness prevention is maximised and effective first point of contact housing advice is given.
- To fulfil the councils statutory obligations to provide advice and homeless prevention and relief under the Housing Act 1996 part VII as amended by the Homeless Reduction Act 2017.
- To carry out full investigation into the homeless application and where prevention or relief is not achieved, to make a robust decision under current legislation.
- To promote the use of the private rented sector as accommodation of choice, make referrals to the Private Rented Sector Case Managers to identify accommodation to discharge the Council’s homeless prevention duty.
- To undertake a wide range of homeless prevention activities including o Liaison with private sector landlords o Liaison and mediation with householders including family members and others o Provision of emergency advice on landlord and tenant, family law, tenants’ rights, unlawful eviction o Access to accommodation options
o Completion of emergency applications to suspend possession orders and bailiff’s warrants o Referrals to direct access hostel, women’s aid refuges and support services in order to prevent or relieve homelessness.
- To undertake joint review and assessment of vulnerable homeless clients with support services, social care services etc.
- To be responsible for self-development and keep knowledge of legislation and case law current.