Head of strategic Finance – S151
Head of strategic Finance – S151 Reference 5863
This is working full time hours on a temporary basis.
£472per day paye
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Lead on the strategic resource planning for a directorate. Identify through benchmarking and best practice creative ideas to maximise the impact on outcomes of alternative service delivery approaches
- Build strong internal and external networks to maximise insight and innovation, to influence and inform corporate directors and senior management decision making on financial and wider performance, supporting the S151 responsibility to achieve value for money
- Leading and supporting decision making by a directorate’s senior management in commercial negotiations to deliver value for money outcomes
- Be a key member of the financial leadership/management team, deputising for the Divisional Director as necessary. Take responsibility for the development of a sector leading, highly performing and respected finance team, leading on a continuous programme of activities to maintain a committed and motivated workforce that promotes financial skills throughout the authority.
- Ensure effective governance and risk management arrangements are in place to enable excellent financial management and ensure the highest standards of probity and compliance.
- Be involved in public sector wide finance collaboration, working closely with regional finance groups, CIPFA and other relevant groups and bodies to identify and assess new national policy decisions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent the Corporate Director of Resources, as Section 151 Officer, in ensuring the proper administration of financial affairs within the service Directorate including compliance with professional standards, statutory responsibilities, and Financial regulations/standing Orders, reporting to the Section 151 officer on any exceptions.
- To advise the Section 151/deputy Section 151 officer(s) of all financial risks resulting from Service Client decision making, escalating any concerns or issues in a timely manner whilst seeking to find resolutions for Service Manager and managing any conflict which may arise to resolution on behalf of the Section 151/deputy Section 151 officer(s).
- Lead on strategic resource planning for a directorate.
- To lead and encourage finance staff, to drive performance improvements within directorates, by building effective relationships to ensure a high level of financial literacy across the organisation.
- Support the Directorate in conducting financial negotiations with contractors and partners to ensure the best financial solution for the authority without compromising on quality of service
- Build strong working relationships with Corporate and Divisional Directors to ensure Finance are an influential seat at the top table
- Use benchmarking and performance to focus attention on where finite resources should be targeted to provide the best possible outcomes
- Create professional networks both internally and externally to share best practice which can then be used to inform alternative service delivery approaches
- Establish relationships with the Strategic, Policy and Partnership team to enable a joined up approach that makes the links between financial and performance information to improve the information and insight provided to a directorates senior management team
10.Oversee the delivery of a proactive financial management function, ensuring delivery meets the directorates expectations
11.Ensure all reports presented by a directorate contain comprehensive financial information that accurately reflects the financial implications of the options under consideration and are fully understood by the directorate