Benefits and Council Tax Officer needed in Newham, £17.94ph PAYE – Reference: RQ1095830
1. The post holder reports to a Council Tax and Benefits Team Manager.
2. The post holder will be expected to work across any of the service points within the service.
3. The post holder will work flexibly and work as an effective team member.
4. The post holder may be required to undertake home visits or property inspections.
5. The post holder will be required to work some evenings, weekends and occasional public holidays in order to meet service requirements and in order to ensure appropriate representation with residents, the Mayor and elected members, and external bodies.
6. The post holder will be required to wear a uniform and to ensure that all staff adhere to this dress code.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities:
Key tasks and accountabilities are intended to be a guide to the range and level of work expected of the post holder. This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the post holder and employees will be expected to carry out such other reasonable duties which may be required from time to time.
To undertake all responsibilities listed below:
1. To contribute towards the implementation of a working culture that is result-orientated and customer-focused.
2. To be responsible for continuous personal development by requesting support where and when necessary.
3. To liaise with the staff of all departments, external organisations or customer representatives and attend meetings.
4. To demonstrate a strong commitment to the promotion of equal opportunities.
Service Provision and Development
1. To maintain a high-level understanding of end-to-end customer interactions and to ensure appropriate levels of understanding throughout the designated service.
2. To participate in promotional events including community outreach and exhibitions etc.
3. To handle difficult or sensitive enquiries effectively using the appropriate body language, listening skills and rapport building.
4. To understand what matters to customers, and to ensure appropriate levels of understanding throughout the staff delivering services.
5. To help support the delivery of continuous improvement within services, by responding to customer demand, reducing and eliminating “waste”, and improving performance and efficiency.
6. To work as part of the front office team to drive an innovative and demand-driven approach to service development, and to ensure that the Service is responsive to public/client needs and achieves efficiency in operation.
7. To demonstrate alignment with vision, aims and values.
8. To use effective communications, liaison and working relationships across the locality team.
9. To use all available information technology applications and other systems to provide information, advice and support for customers.
Administration, Finance and Performance
1. To uphold all of the policies and procedures.
2. To adhere to all appropriate standards, procedures and quality management systems and participate in promoting innovative methods for improving service quality.
3. To operate within the agreed planning and performance review systems to deliver professional front office service which is relevant, high quality and protects customer confidentiality.
Council Tax & Benefits
1. To carry out all tasks associated with the administration, processing and assessment of Housing and Council Tax Benefit claims and Free School Meals.
2. To carry out all tasks associated with the notification, collection and recovery of Housing Benefit Overpayments.
3. To carry out all tasks associated with the billing, collection and recovery of Council Tax.
4. To gain, develop and maintain an understanding of the Council Tax and Housing and Council Tax Benefits legislation and the regulatory frameworks.
5. To understand the whole of the Benefits and Council Tax systems end to end and the nature of all the associated work.
6. To use the most efficient/effective means possible to communicate to customers and others.
7. To identify and report fraud.
8. To be able to differentiate between those avoiding payment and those who may need a more sympathetic approach.
9. To be aware of, understand and help develop system measures to determine whether the purpose of the service is being met in the most effective manner.
10. To record relevant data to assess service capability and performance.
11. To use the system measures to review, improve and carry out the work.
12. To take the responsibility to make a good decision that is explained, accurate and rational, seeking appropriate help where needed.
This is a full time role on a temporary contract basis.
If you are interested in the role please apply on our website with your CV, alternatively you can email your CV to email@example.com quoting the reference number.
Essential Employment is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy. Essential Employment is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
All our roles may be subject to pre-employment checks including references so please be prepared.
Due to high volumes of CVs received we are not able to respond to all unsuccessful applications. You will always however hear from us by phone if we are able to take your CV forward to the next stage.
You can also follow us at Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn or via our website www.essentialemploy.co.uk.